IMODIUM INSTANTS - 6 ORODISPERSIBLE TABLETS
What are Imodium Instants?
Imodium Instants are melt-in-the-mouth tablets which help to treat two different types of diarrhoea. If you’re suffering from short term diarrhoea or diarrhoea that’s caused by an IBS flare-up, these tablets can help to ease your symptoms quickly and effectively.
Why do I have diarrhoea?
If you are suffering from short term diarrhoea, the most common cause is usually a stomach bug. This will normally clear up within 5 – 7 days, but if you don’t see an improvement by that time then you should speak to your doctor as soon as possible. Other causes of diarrhoea include food poisoning, food allergies, or conditions such as IBS or Coeliac disease.
How will these Imodium Instants help to treat my diarrhoea?
Each Imodium Instant tablet contains 2mg of the active ingredient loperamide hydrochloride, which helps to reduce diarrhoea. It does this by slowing down your overactive bowel, making it ideal for those suffering from IBS diarrhoea or short-term diarrhoea. Slowing down the bowel helps to allow the salts and water that are usually lost when you have diarrhoea have the chance to be absorbed by your body.
Can I take these tablets if I’m taking other medication?
If you are taking any other medication, including those you obtained without a prescription, speak to your doctor or a pharmacist before using Imodium Instants. This includes:
- Ritonavir – Used to treat HIV
- Quinidine – Used to treat abnormal heart rhythms or malaria
- Oral desmopressin – Used to treat excessive urination
- Itraconazole or ketoconazole – Used to treat fungal infections
- Gemfibrozil – Used to treat high cholesterol
Can I take these tablets if I’m pregnant or breastfeeding?
You should not take this Imodium Instants if you are breastfeeding, as the medication can pass into your breastmilk. If you are pregnant, speak to your doctor or a pharmacist before taking this medication to make sure it is suitable for you and your child.
Can I drive after taking this medication?
This medication can make you feel tired, dizzy, or sleepy after you take it. Do not attempt to drive or operate tools or machinery unless you are sure that you are not affected in this way.
How to take Imodium Instants
Take 2 Imodium Instant tablets at the start of your treatment and then one more every time you have a loose bowel movement. Place the tablets onto your tongue and let them dissolve slowly. Swallow once dissolved and do not chew. Do not take more than 6 tablets in any 24 hours.
How long can I use these tablets for?
If you are using Imodium Instants to treat short-term diarrhoea, you should use these tablets for no more than 48 hours. If your diarrhoea lasts longer than this, stop taking this product and speak to your doctor. If you are taking this product for IBS diarrhoea, you can use this medicine for up to 2 weeks for repeated attacks. However, if an attack lasts longer than 48 hours, you should stop use and speak to your doctor.
When should Imodium Instants not be used?
Imodium Instants are not suitable for use by children under the age of 12 or IBS patients under the age of 18. Do not take this product if you are allergic to loperamide or any of the other listed ingredient. Do not take this product if you:
- Have severe diarrhoea after taking antibiotics
- Are having a flare-up of an inflammatory bowel condition, e.g. ulcerative colitis
- Are constipated or your stomach appears swollen
- Have acute dysentery, showing symptoms such as blood in your stools, high temperature
Speak to your doctor or a pharmacist before taking this product if you:
- Have AIDs and your stomach becomes swollen. Stop taking these tablets and speak to your doctor immediately
- Suffer from liver disease
- Have diarrhoea which lasts longer than 48 hours
- Have severe diarrhoea
If you have IBS, you should speak to your doctor or a pharmacist before using this medication if you:
- Are over 40 and has been some time since your last IBS attack
- Are over 40 and your IBS symptoms are different than usual
- You have recently passed blood from the bowel
- Suffer from severe constipation
- Are feeling sick or vomiting
- Have lost your appetite or lost weight
- Have difficulty or pain when passing urine
- Have a fever
- Have recently travelled abroad
Does this product have any side effects?
Like all medications, Imodium Instants can have side effects, although not everyone will experience them. You should seek medical help immediately if you experience:
- Allergic reactions, e.g. unexplained wheezing, shortness of breath, passing out, swelling of the face or throat
- Skin rashes, which may be severe and include blistering or peeling skin
- Loss of consciousness or reduced level of consciousness, e.g. passing out, feeling faint or less alert, uncoordinated movements
Other side effects include:
- Itchiness, hives
- Stomach pain, swollen stomach
- Difficulty passing water
- Severe constipation
- Burning or prickling sensation of the tongue
- Narrowing of the pupils of the eye
- Feeling sick, constipation, wind
- Dizziness, drowsiness
- Vomiting, indigestion
- Dry mouth
If you experience these or any other side effects while using this product, stop use and speak to your doctor or a pharmacist as soon as possible.
How to store these tablets
Store in a cool, dry place. Store in the original packaging, do not use if the expiry date printed on the packaging has passed. Keep out of sight and reach of children.